Houston County Genealogy, Wills, Estates and Marriages
Houston, Peach and Bibb County records should be simultaneously researched by the genealogists to locate threads of family information. Houston County, Georgia was established in 1821 from Indian lands, and was named after Governor James Houstoun. Families came to Houston County from Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina and from Houston County migrated after the Civil War into Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and especially Texas. Early Settlers: William Amos, Daniel Adams, Simon Barden, James Burnsides, David Clark, Curtis Daniel, Jeremiah Dupree, Thomas Doles, James Everett, James Grace, Michael Howard, James Killen, John Lafoy, Joshua Mercer, Jesse Pollock, and James Vinson.
Houston County Probate Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
- 1820 to 1850
- Marriage Book B, 1852-64 (index of brides and grooms)
- Houston County Marriage Book C, 1875-1898 (index of brides and grooms)
Indexes to Houston County Probate Records
- Will Book A, 1827 to 1855.
- Will Book B, 1855-1896.
- Annual Returns and Vouchers, Book A, 1824-1833
- Annual Returns and Vouchers, Book B, 1833-1848
- Annual Returns and Vouchers, Book C, 1847-1851
- Annual Returns and Vouchers, Book D, 1852-1853
- Annual Returns and Vouchers, Book E, 1853-1854
- Annual Returns and Vouchers, Book F, 1854-1855
- Clark, Dempsey, LWT
- Strong, Christopher (will)
- Vinson, James (will)
Tons of Genealogy Records to Help you Find your Georgia Ancestors