Greene County Marriages, Wills, Estates, Tax DigestsGreene County was created from Washington County in 1786 and was named after Revolutionary War hero Major-General Nathaniel Greene who issued many land grants to his veteran troops. After the war, Greene and wife Catharine built a home near Savannah called
Mulberry Plantationbut Greene soon died, on June 19, 1786. In 1825 parts of Greene County were used to help create Taliaferro County as well as Oglethorpe and Clarke Counties between 1794 and 1877. The County Seat is Greensboro [originally spelled Greensborough and named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene]. Early Settlers: John Adams, John Armor, Richard Bailey, James Blythe, Walker Brockman, Edward Cannon, Joseph Carmichael, James Fuller, Hugh Hall, John Jeter, Edward Lumpkin, Phillemon Martin, Landon Palmer, James Stewart, Thomas.
Greene County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Origins of Settlers
- Origins of Early Greene County Settlers
Testators: Akins, James; Alexander, Samuel; Alford, Julius ;Allison, Alfred; Anderson, Clayborn ;Asbury, Martha; Astin, Robert; Baker, John; Baldwin, Henry; Baldwin, Samuel; Barnhart, Charles; Baugh, Peter; Beatie, John ;Bedell, Isaac; Bedell, John ;Bethune, Lauchlin ;Bishop, Stephen; Blasingame, Philip; Bobbet, Martha; Bookes, Permelia; Booles, Jesse ;Booles, William ;Bradshaw, Elijah; Brinkley, Joshua; Brown, Elizabeth; Bullock, Edward ;Bunch, Austin; Caldwell, Littleton; Chapman, Randa;l Cheney, John ;Chew, John ;Clifton, Curtis ;Cobb, Thomas ;Cochran, Abner; Cole, Duke; Cole, John; Coles, John ;Coleman, Eden; Coleman, John; Coleman, Matthew; Coleman, Nancy; Colt, John; Cone, Ezekie;l Cone, William; Corry, Alexander ;Corry, William; Coslin, Isaac; Cox, Francena; Crawford, Thomas; Crawford, William; Culp, David; Cummins, Francis; Daniel, Samuel ;Davenport, Burkett; Dawson, George Sr.; Deshazor, Martha; Dysart, Charity; Eason, Abner; Edwards, Harvey; Eley, Jesse; Edmundson, Samuel; Fambrough, Thomas; Fears, William ;Figgs, William; Findley, James ;Floyd, Shadrick; Foster, Arthur ;Fouche, Jonas ;Fretwell, William; Fuller, Elijah ;Furlow, David; Garrett, John; Gatlin, James ;Gilliam, Robert; Gooch, Nathan; Greene, Ruthy; Greene, William ;Greer, Thomas; Gresham, Archibald; Grier, Robert; Grimes, Thomas; Gwin, Lucy ;Haralson, Jonathan; Harris, Jordan ;Harris, William ;Hays, Hugh; Heard, Abraham ;Hill, John; Hodge, John; Houghton, Joshua; Houghton, Joshua Sr. ;Houghton, Matthew ;Houghton, Thomas ;Howell, Ann; Hubbard, Thomas ;Hunt, John; Hunter, Elisha ;Jackson, David; Jackson, Jeremiah ;Jenkins, James ;Jenkins, Lewis; Jett, Daniel; Johnson, Charles; Johnson, Thomas; Kenady, James; Kimbrough, Josiah; King, Drury ;Lancaster, Samuel; Lanier, Henry ;Lee, Elizabeth; Lee, William ;Leonard, Irbane; Lewis, Sarah; Lindsey, Clarissa ;Lindsey, Jeremiah; Maddox, Clayborn ;Maddox, Josiah; Martin, Benjamin; Martin, James; Martin, Lucretia; Martin, Mary; May, Major; McCombs, Andrew ;Merritt, John; Merritt, William ;Mitchell, Jacob; Moon, Jeremiah; Moore, Ransom ;Mosley, Lewis; Neal, Sarah; Nelson, Christiana ;Parks, Ezekiel; Parrish, Joel ;Parrott, Benjamin; Pattillo, John ;Payn, John; Perkins, Sarah ;Perkins,Walker ;Phillips, George; Phillips, Mark; Porter, Oliver; Reynolds, James; Rice, Mary ;Riley, Thomas; Roberts, Daniel; Robinson, James; Sayers, David Sr.; Scogin, Right; Seymour, Eralbton; Sherrill, David; Simonton, Joel ;Simonton, Robert; Slaughter, John; Smith, James; Smith, Nancy ;Smith, Peyton; Smith, Reuben ;Smith, William ;Stanley, Sherwood; Starkes, Thomas; Stepp, John; Stoutamin, Newell ;Stovall, George; Strangfellow, Amy ;Swinney, William; Talley, William; Terrell, David; Terrell, Elizabeth; Terrell, Thomas ;Thaxton, Nathaniel; Thompson, James ;Thornton, Redman ;Todd, Henry ;Veazey, Ezekiel; Vincent, Nancy ;Vincent, William ;Walker, Edwin ;Wallis, Nancy; Watson, Catharine ;Watson, Joseph ;Watson, William B. ;Watts, Jubal; Watts, William ;Welles, Matthew; West, Francis; West, John Jr. ;Williams, Jessie ;Wilson, John; Wilson, Thomas; Wilson, William;Woodard, Martha;Woodham, Edward ;Wright, Robert; Wright, Zacheus; Wright, ZebulonWills
- Greene County Wills 1796-1806 (abstracts).
- Estates, Inventories, Bk A.
- Estates, Inventories, Bk B.
- General Index to all Wills 1798-1914.
- General Index to all Estates 1790-1943.
- General Index to all Guardian Bonds, etc. 1790-1943.
- Administrator's and Guardian's Bonds, 1812-1858.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 1, 1786-1806.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 2, 1794-1810.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 3, 1806-1816.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 4, 1817-1842.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 5, 1840-1877.
- Minutes of the Superior Court 1822-1827
- Minutes of the Superior Court 1831-1839
- Marriage Licenses
- Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Marriage Contracts found in Deeds and Other Documents.
- 1811 Tax Digest
- 1814 Tax Digest
Images of Miscellaneous Estates and Documents
- Gilbert, Benjamin, LWT (1786-1795) (Digital Image).
- Heard, Thomas, LWT (1807) (Digital Image).
- Holland, Henry. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Holland, Lawson S. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Holland, Thomas. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Kennedy, William, LWT (1793)(Digital Image).
- McLane, William (1841) Estate, Loose Papers (Digital Image).
- Alexander, James
- Barnet, Abraham
- Brazier, Anderson
- Hall, James
- Harrison, Gideon
- Heard, John
- Jones, Nathan
- Owen, Thomas
- The Weekly Bee
Tons of Genealogy Records to Help you Find your Georgia Ancestors