In 1886 the Covington and Macon Railroad Company began building a railroad fromm Macon to Covington. At the time, the tracks passed through land owned by Congressman James Henderson Blount and a depot was built near his house. The depot stood on the present site of 115 E. Clinton St. in Clinton Georgia. Old issues of The Jones Headlight published at Gray's Station are available to members to read. They are found under "obituaries" on Georgia PioneersGraves of the Pioneer Families to Waystation. "In the company with several friends on sabbath afternoon last we visited the old homestead of the elder Carons, one of the pioneers of Jones County. Not much remains to mark the spot where once stood (for aught we know) a stately country mansion. Our party which had been augmented by a descedant of the red man (though this individual was far from being red) repaired to the ancient burial ground of the Carsons, Finneys and Barons. Here are uried some of the first settlers to the county. Our party wended its way back to the Station without an accident save breaking a foot log across the creek. " Signed. Leviticus. To track this cemetery down, one must search on the map for Gray's Station,where a railroad station was built two miles northeast of Clinton, Georgia. When the county seat moved to Gray the current courthouse was built in 1905. Source: The Jones Headlight Gray's Station. February 11, 1888.
"Sheriff's Sale. Georgia. Jones County. To e sold before the court house door in Clinton on the first Tuesday in March next the following property: one 8-horse power engine and Talbott make and one fifty saw cotton gin and one rubber belt. Levied on the property of Robert Lundy to satisfy a fi fa. from Jones County in favor of Talbott & Sons vs. Robert Lundy." Source: The Jones Headlight, Gray's Station, Georgia, February 4, 1888. more historical information about Jones County
Tons of Genealogy Records to Help you Find your Georgia Ancestors