Greene County Marriages, Wills, Estates, Tax Digests
Greene County was created from Washington County in 1786 and was named after Revolutionary War hero Major-General Nathaniel Greene who issued many land grants to his veteran troops. After the war, Greene and wife Catharine built a home near Savannah calledMulberry Plantationbut Greene soon died, on June 19, 1786. In 1825 parts of Greene County were used to help create Taliaferro County as well as Oglethorpe and Clarke Counties between 1794 and 1877. The County Seat is Greensboro [originally spelled Greensborough and named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene]. Early Settlers: John Adams, John Armor, Richard Bailey, James Blythe, Walker Brockman, Edward Cannon, Joseph Carmichael, James Fuller, Hugh Hall, John Jeter, Edward Lumpkin, Phillemon Martin, Landon Palmer, James Stewart, Thomas.
Greene County Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Origins of Settlers
Images of Wills 1816 to 1842
- Origins of Early Greene County SettlersTestators: Akins, James; Alexander, Samuel; Alford, Julius ;Allison, Alfred; Anderson, Clayborn ;Asbury, Martha; Astin, Robert; Baker, John; Baldwin, Henry; Baldwin, Samuel; Barnhart, Charles; Baugh, Peter; Beatie, John ;Bedell, Isaac; Bedell, John ;Bethune, Lauchlin ;Bishop, Stephen; Blasingame, Philip; Bobbet, Martha; Bookes, Permelia; Booles, Jesse ;Booles, William ;Bradshaw, Elijah; Brinkley, Joshua; Brown, Elizabeth; Bullock, Edward ;Bunch, Austin; Caldwell, Littleton; Chapman, Randa;l Cheney, John ;Chew, John ;Clifton, Curtis ;Cobb, Thomas ;Cochran, Abner; Cole, Duke; Cole, John; Coles, John ;Coleman, Eden; Coleman, John; Coleman, Matthew; Coleman, Nancy; Colt, John; Cone, Ezekie;l Cone, William; Corry, Alexander ;Corry, William; Coslin, Isaac; Cox, Francena; Crawford, Thomas; Crawford, William; Culp, David; Cummins, Francis; Daniel, Samuel ;Davenport, Burkett; Dawson, George Sr.; Deshazor, Martha; Dysart, Charity; Eason, Abner; Edwards, Harvey; Eley, Jesse; Edmundson, Samuel; Fambrough, Thomas; Fears, William ;Figgs, William; Findley, James ;Floyd, Shadrick; Foster, Arthur ;Fouche, Jonas ;Fretwell, William; Fuller, Elijah ;Furlow, David; Garrett, John; Gatlin, James ;Gilliam, Robert; Gooch, Nathan; Greene, Ruthy; Greene, William ;Greer, Thomas; Gresham, Archibald; Grier, Robert; Grimes, Thomas; Gwin, Lucy ;Haralson, Jonathan; Harris, Jordan ;Harris, William ;Hays, Hugh; Heard, Abraham ;Hill, John; Hodge, John; Houghton, Joshua; Houghton, Joshua Sr. ;Houghton, Matthew ;Houghton, Thomas ;Howell, Ann; Hubbard, Thomas ;Hunt, John; Hunter, Elisha ;Jackson, David; Jackson, Jeremiah ;Jenkins, James ;Jenkins, Lewis; Jett, Daniel; Johnson, Charles; Johnson, Thomas; Kenady, James; Kimbrough, Josiah; King, Drury ;Lancaster, Samuel; Lanier, Henry ;Lee, Elizabeth; Lee, William ;Leonard, Irbane; Lewis, Sarah; Lindsey, Clarissa ;Lindsey, Jeremiah; Maddox, Clayborn ;Maddox, Josiah; Martin, Benjamin; Martin, James; Martin, Lucretia; Martin, Mary; May, Major; McCombs, Andrew ;Merritt, John; Merritt, William ;Mitchell, Jacob; Moon, Jeremiah; Moore, Ransom ;Mosley, Lewis; Neal, Sarah; Nelson, Christiana ;Parks, Ezekiel; Parrish, Joel ;Parrott, Benjamin; Pattillo, John ;Payn, John; Perkins, Sarah ;Perkins,Walker ;Phillips, George; Phillips, Mark; Porter, Oliver; Reynolds, James; Rice, Mary ;Riley, Thomas; Roberts, Daniel; Robinson, James; Sayers, David Sr.; Scogin, Right; Seymour, Eralbton; Sherrill, David; Simonton, Joel ;Simonton, Robert; Slaughter, John; Smith, James; Smith, Nancy ;Smith, Peyton; Smith, Reuben ;Smith, William ;Stanley, Sherwood; Starkes, Thomas; Stepp, John; Stoutamin, Newell ;Stovall, George; Strangfellow, Amy ;Swinney, William; Talley, William; Terrell, David; Terrell, Elizabeth; Terrell, Thomas ;Thaxton, Nathaniel; Thompson, James ;Thornton, Redman ;Todd, Henry ;Veazey, Ezekiel; Vincent, Nancy ;Vincent, William ;Walker, Edwin ;Wallis, Nancy; Watson, Catharine ;Watson, Joseph ;Watson, William B. ;Watts, Jubal; Watts, William ;Welles, Matthew; West, Francis; West, John Jr. ;Williams, Jessie ;Wilson, John; Wilson, Thomas; Wilson, William;Woodard, Martha;Woodham, Edward ;Wright, Robert; Wright, Zacheus; Wright, ZebulonWills
Indexes to Probate Records
- Greene County Wills 1796-1806 (abstracts).
- Estates, Inventories, Bk A.
- Estates, Inventories, Bk B.
- General Index to all Wills 1798-1914.
- General Index to all Estates 1790-1943.
- General Index to all Guardian Bonds, etc. 1790-1943.
- Administrator's and Guardian's Bonds, 1812-1858.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 1, 1786-1806.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 2, 1794-1810.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 3, 1806-1816.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 4, 1817-1842.
- Wills and Appraisements, Book 5, 1840-1877.
- Minutes of the Superior Court 1822-1827
- Minutes of the Superior Court 1831-1839
Images of Tax Records
- Marriage Licenses
- Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Marriage Contracts found in Deeds and Other Documents.
- 1811 Tax Digest
- 1814 Tax Digest
Images of Miscellaneous Estates and Documents
Images of Miscellaneous Inventories, Appraisements, Bk 1, 1786 to 1806
- Gilbert, Benjamin, LWT (1786-1795) (Digital Image).
- Heard, Thomas, LWT (1807) (Digital Image).
- Holland, Henry. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Holland, Lawson S. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Holland, Thomas. (digital images of original estate papers).
- Kennedy, William, LWT (1793)(Digital Image).
- McLane, William (1841) Estate, Loose Papers (Digital Image).
Images of Newspapers (select issues)
- Alexander, James
- Barnet, Abraham
- Brazier, Anderson
- Hall, James
- Harrison, Gideon
- Heard, John
- Jones, Nathan
- Owen, Thomas
- The Weekly Bee
|See how Easy it is to Read old Wills and Estates on Georgia Pioneers|
Learn if your ancestors left a will or estate record? An easy, quick (and free) way to find out is to click on the links below.
County Records of 8 Genealogy Websites
Become a Member
- GaGraduates.com (Graduates database from ca 1830 to 1925)
- SoutheasternGenealogy.com (Miscellaneous records in AL, LA, MD, PA, NJ
NY, TN, TX)
|BUNDLE RATE for 8. Access to all eight websites plus additional data in other States: Bibles, genealogies, civil war records, colonial records, marriages, wills, estates, special collections, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin.|
Membership to 8 Genealogy Websites - Reoccurring subscription with guaranteed low rate
|REOCCURRING SUBSCRIPTION WITH PAYPAL = $150 per year. Guaranteed low rate so long as your subscription continues to renew itself. You may unsubscribe at any time, however, to prevent the reoccurring charge, you must "cancel" before the renewal date. To do this, login to your PayPal account and select the cancel option.|
|About your password. Please allow up to 2 hours for your password. If not received in a timely manner, CLICK to send reminder|
|NEWEST ADDITIONS TO 8 GENEALOGY WEBSITES !|
Follow this blog by Email