Clarke County Wills and EstatesClarke County was established in 1801; named for General Elijah Clarke of Revolutionary War fame. A year after cession of the land that became Clarke County from the Cherokee Indians in 1783, the State endowed the future University of Georgia with 40,000 acres of land near an old trading path. The old school pre-dates the Revolutionary War but was not created by the Georgia legislature until 1785.Abraham Baldwin was chosen as president. The school actually began the same year as the county, 1801, with the purchase of land for a campus. At this time the surrounding town of Athens had not been formed and would not be formed until the first class graduated in 1804. Among the earliest students were men who would shape the future of the state before, after and during the Civil War. Crawford W. Long, medical pioneer, Alexander "Little Alex" Stephens, who became Vice President of the Confederate State of America, and Howell Cobb, Speaker of the House and candidate for President of the United States, were but a few of the famous names associated with the school. Early Clarke County Settlers: William Shaw, Joseph Clarkson, Joseph Kramer, William Echols, Richard Lewis, Richard Cole, Absalom Echols, Joshua Baker, Bussel Brown, Jeremiah Melton, Wyley Roberts, James Hayes, William Daniel, Edward Hagin, Samuel Jackson, Clark Hudson, George Evans, Levin Hudson, Wootson Allen, Joseph Henderson, John Dorman, Peter Calaway, Edward Moor, James Downs, Jonathan Hightower, James Keeth, Isaac Downs, David McCulloch, James Naull, Gabriel Hubbard, John Burnett, James Gilmore, David Duke, Harry Mitchel, Drewry Brewer, Henry Grier, and others.
Click on Me
Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers
Abstracts of Wills
Digital Images of Wills and Estates
Indexes to Probate Records
- Wills 1842-1859 (digital images)Names: Akeridge, Ezekiel,Barber, James,Baxter, Thomas,Beardin, Aaron, Branch, Dicey,Burnett, Caroline,Camak, James,Carter, William,Cros, Aaron,Daniell, Josiah,Edwards, Solomon,Espy, John,Greer, Thomas, Hales, Willis,Huff, Henry,Jackson, Stephen,Jennings, James,Jones, William,King, Sarah,Mayne, John,Newton, Catharine,Oliver, John Sr., Payne, Edward,Pittard, Humphrey,Pope, Mary,Price, Elizabeth,Stroud, Martha,Tinney, Elizabeth,Wells, Sarah,Williams, William,Williamson, Sarah.
- Wills 1859 to 1885 (digital images)Names: Bauer, William ; Baxter, Mary ; Biggane, Lucy ; Billups, John ; Bishop, Edward;; Bishop, Thomas ; Bradford, Mary ; Branch, James ; Brown, Dolly ; Burnett, Mary ; Chancey, John ; Chase, Allen ; Church, M.; Cobb, Lucy ; Conger, Abijah; Cook, Zadock; Cox, Elizabeth ; Crawford, Julia; Crawford, Susan; Crawford, Susannah ; Crawford, Thomas; Daniell, Francis Marion; Darsey, William ; Darcey, James; Davenport, Henry; Dean, John; Delany, Henry; Delany, William ; Doster, Francis ; Dupree, Lucy ; Edwards, Henry ; Edwards, Richard ; Epps, William ; Fambrough, John; Fellows, George; Fellows, Mary; Gober, William ; Gober, Wesley; Goff, Nancy; Golding, Susan ; Gorly, Mary; Gray, Jeremiah ; Greer, Corporal ; Griffith, John; Hall, Asbury ; Hamilton, Sarah ; Hardiman, Benjamin; Harper, Anselm ; Harris, James ; Harris, John; Harris, Martin ; Harris, Paulina ; Harris, Sarah; Hellbrook, Nathan ; Henderson, Matthew ; Henry, Elizabeth ; Hoyt, Nathan; Hudson, George; Hull, Henry; Hutchinson, Peter; Jackson, Hillman ; Jackson, John; Jenkins, James; Jennings, Giles; Jennings, Henry ; Jennings, James ; Johnson, John Calvin ; Keisler, Hugh; Kittle, William ; Klutts, Jacob; Lampkin, Henry ; Leam, William; Lee, Judith ; Ligers, Caesr; Lowe, John H. ; Lumpkin, Edward ; Lumpkin, Frank; Lumpkin, Samuel ; Macey, Albert ; Malin, Phoebe; Marks, Thomas; Matthews, Martha; Kinney, Alfred ; Mitchell, Giles; Mitchell, J. W. ; Mitchell, William ; Moore, Eleanore ; Moore, Thomas; Morton, Joseph ; Moss, John ; Moss, Thomas; Muker, Christopher ; Mygatt, George; Nance, John ; Newton, Eliza ; Osborn, John; Paine, Seaborne (colored) ; Pelleford, Louis ; Reese, Charles ; Ramsey, Bolitha E. ; Savage, Susan ; Sikes, Zechariah; Smith, Robert; Sparks, Ann; Sparks, Thomas ; Stephenson, Henry; Stovall, Pleasant; Stroud, Mark; Stroud, William ; Tayler, Michael ; Taylor, Robert; Thomas, William ; Thompson, Middleton; Thrasher, Burton; Vickers, Joshua; Vincent, Isaac ; Wade, Thomas ; Wane, Edward ; Ward, Matthew A. ; Wells, Mary; White, John ; White, William; Williams, Mary; Witherspoon, Elizabeth; Woodson, Alexander ; Wray, Thomas ; Yerby, Burnell ; Zach, Silas
- Estates 1827 to 1835 (Digital Images)Names: Beal, Zephaniah; Beardin, Richard; Bonner, Allen ;Bostick, Rebecca; Broadnax, William; Cheatham, Anthony; Chislom, Appleton ; Crowe, Stephen ; Doran, Andrew; Daugherty, Rebecca; Duke, Beverley; Early, Rhoda ; Easley, Roderick ; Foster, John ; Fulton, Margaret; Garner, Joel; Gordon, Robert ; Gourley, Jonathan ; Graham, Andrew ; Harper, John; Harris, Jeremiah ; Harris, Thomas ; Hester, Stephen ; Hill, Isaac; Holder, John ; Holt, Cicero; Huff, Wiley; Humphreys, Uriah; Irwin, James ; James, Henry; Langford, James ; Lumpkin, George; May, Levi ; Mayfield, Thomas; Maxey, Edward, orphans of ; McCollough, William; Mitchell, William ; Moore, Francis ; Moore, Robert; Nisbet, James ; Nunnally, John ; Parton, Vernia ; Phinizy, Marcus; Pittard, Samuel ; Price, William ; Puryear, Peter, orphans of ; Ransom, Reuben; Richardson, John, orphan of Dave; Sibbald, Jane ; Smith, Mary A.; Starkes, Philip, orphans of ; Strickland, John ; Tarpley, Joseph ; Thomas, John ; Thomas, Levin ; Trammell, Robert ; Watts, Samuel ; Whitton, John ; Williamson, Ann; Williby, Elijah ; Wise, Patterson; Wooldridge, orphans; Wright, John
- Estates Book G, 1835 to 1845Testators: Beal, Zephaniah; Boram, George W.; Bostick, Rebekah, Mrs.; Brightwell, John; Cheatham, Anthony; Chester, Stephen; Conger, Hedges; Croxton, James; Dalton, Lewis; Elder, Sterling and Howell; Flournoy, Elizabeth, orphan; Flournoy, Howell, orphan of; Hodges, James, orphans of; Holt, Cicero; Lamar, Zachariah; Lee, John; Ligon, Robert; Maddox, Joseph; Mann, Jonathan, orphans of; Meriwether orphans; Merritt, Berryman G.; Moore, William; Nisbet, Penelope, Mrs.; Osborn, John; Phinizy, Marco, orphans of; Pinson, Thomas; Pressley, Samuel P.; Preston, William; Puryear, John; Puryear, Peter, orphan; Reynolds, Patrick; Robertson, Fryar; Robinson, James; Sheats, Nicholas; Sibbald, Jane, Mrs.; Simonton, Theopholis;Stephens, David; Sturgis, Henry; Taylor, Sarah Ann, orphan; Thomas, Drury; Thompson, Thomas B.; Tindall, William; Whitlow, John Sr.; Williams, Joel, orphans of; Williby, Robert; Williby, William; Winstead, Alexander
- Index to Clarke County Will Book A, 1803-1822.
- Index to Clarke County Will Book B, 1822-1842.
- Index to Clarke County Will Book C, 1842-1859.
- Index to Clarke County Will Book D, 1859-1885.
- Index to Clarke County Will Book E, 1885-1911.
- Index to Clarke County Ordinary Records, estates (no date).
- Index to Clarke County Unbound Estates, 1797-1949.
- Index to Clarke County Mixed Estates, 1799-1819.
- Index to Clarke County Mixed Estates, 1807-1818.
- Index to Clarke County Mixed Estates, 1815-1827.
- Index to Clarke County Mixed Estates, 1827-1830.
- Mixed Estates, Book E (1827-1830)
- Mixed Estates, Book F (1835-1845)
- Mixed Estates (1837-1847)
- Mixed Estates (1842-1867)
- Deed Book A, 1802-1804.
Tax Digests (digital images)
- Finch, William, LWT (1811).
- Hagin, Edward, Appraisement, Sale, etc. (1805), Bk 1799-1819, pp. 373-377.
- Hagin, Edward, deed (1802).
- James Hagins, Estate.
- Marriages 1807 to 1820
- Marriage Index 1805-1821
- Marriage Index 1815-1821
- Marriage Licenses Index 1821 to 1838
- Marriage Licenses Index 1838 to 1867
- Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886
1802 1805 1810
Appling | Banks| Baker| Baldwin| Bartow| Berrien| Bibb| Brooks| Bryan| Bulloch| Burke| Butts| Calhoun| Camden| Campbell| Carroll| Cass (also see Bartow)| Catoosa| Charlton| Chatham| Chattooga| Chattahoochee| Cherokee| Clarke| Clay| Clayton| Clinch| Cobb| Coffee| Columbia| Coweta| Crawford| Dade| Dawson| Decatur| Dekalb| Dodge| Dooly| Dougherty| Douglas| Early| Echols| Effingham| Elbert| Emanuel| Fannin| Fayette| Floyd| Forsyth| Franklin| Fulton| Gilmer| Glascock| Glynn| Gordon| Greene| Gwinnett| Habersham| Hall| Hancock| Haralson| Harris| Hart| Heard| Henry| Houston| Irwin| Jackson| Jasper| Jefferson| Johnson| Jones| Laurens| Lee| Liberty| Lincoln| Lowndes| Lumpkin Macon| Madison| Marion| McDuffie| McIntosh| Meriwether| Miller| Milton| Mitchell| Montgomery| Morgan| Monroe| Murray| Muscogee| Newton| Oglethorpe| Paulding| Peach | Pickens | Pierce | Pike | Polk | Pulaski | Putnam | Quitman | Rabun | Randolph | Richmond | Rockdale | Schley | Screven | Spalding | Stewart | Sumter | Talbot | Taliaferro | Tattnall | Taylor | Telfair | Terrell | Thomas | Towns| Troup| Twiggs| Union| Upson| Walker| Walton| Ware | Warren | Washington | Wayne | White | Whitfield | Wilcox| Wilkes| Wilkinson | Worth
Marriages, bible records, traced families, pensions, cemeteries, obituaries, and much more. For more details, please What's What
FreebiesGeorgia Historical videos
American Pioneer Series
How to Trace Families
Remember Me: Photos
Back Issues of Lost Generations
Best Genealogy Blogs
Old Georgia Families
Other Excellent GENEALOGY WEBSITES
|FREE help with finding your ancestors! Become a member of the Pioneer Families Community, and enjoy the benefits of a network of genealogy experts: including access to all eight websites, books written by renowned Georgia genealogist Jeannette Holland Austin, and personal help with your research for any family in GA, NC, SC, or VA. A full year of membership with all these benefits (and access to 1.5 tetrabytes of genealogical data) for less than $13 a month, compared with up to $45 a month at ancestry.com|
|SAVE MONEY! Click here to become a Member.|
Follow this blog by Email