Glynn County Wills and Estates
General Oglethorpe first put settlers on St. Simons Island in 1836; the transport was primarily Englishmen. The first parish church was located on the island. After 1848 when Oglethorpe won the land war with Spain and disbanded his Georgia regiment and returned to England, settlers began to desert the military post and find land grants throughout the county. Many of them removed to McIntosh and Liberty Counties. The Colonial period was divided by the parishs of St. David, St. Parick and St. Jones, organized in 1758.Glynn County was created in 1777 and named in honor of John Glynn, a member of the British House of Commons who defended the cause of the American Colonies in the difficulties which led to the Revolutionary War. Research should also include the Colonial Records of Georgia by Candler; Mcintosh and Liberty Counties.
Records Available to Members of Georgia Pioneers Wills and Estates
Indexes to Probate Records
- Wills & Appraisements 1809-1843.
- Wills & Appraisements 1842-1849.
- Images of Wills & Appraisements 1856-1866
- Will Book E 1856-1866.Names of Testators: Bell, W. W., Brooks, Samuel,Burnett, Samuel M.,Clubb, James W.,Corbit, Samuel, Couper, James Hamilton,Dart, Anna,Davenport, William G., DuBignon, Felicitt,Fins, Job,Gignilliat, John M.,Golden, Thomas, Hamilton, James,Harris, Horace J.,Hazlehurst, Frances L.,Hazzard, Thomas T. (Dr.),Hillier, Thomas,Hinkman,, R. S.,Holland, John, Hooker, Ann O.,Hubbs, James S. Sr.,Jenkins, William,Johnston, P. C., Jones, Daniel,King, Ann Matilda,King, Matilda, wife of Thomas Butler King,King, Thomas,Lamb, Celia,Mc Conn, P. H.,Moore, J. W.,Moore, Sarah, Moore, S. B.,O'Sullivan, Florence,Pettigrew, George W.,Piles, John, Ratcliff, James M.,Roden, John,Royall, Horace J.,Rumph, John R., Spears, Anderson,Stafford, Robert,Stevens, Charles, Tison, Job, Ira and Mrs. J. L.,Troup, James, Truscott, William, Turner, William,Welbourne, Charles,Westmoreland, Eardly G.,Wood, John R.,Woolley, Vardy.
- Images of Original Wills & Estates 1809-1845
- Wills, Inventories, Appraisements, Bk D 1810-1843.
- Wills, Inventories, Appraisements, Bk D 1844-1853.
- 1818 to 1852.
- Marriages from newspapers 1885-1886.
- Map of Blythe Island.
- 1890 Brunswick
- 1892 Brunswick.
- 1892 St. Simons Island.
- 1898 St. Simons Island.
|See how Easy it is to Read old Wills and Estates on Georgia Pioneers|
Become a Member of Georgia Pioneers
Follow this blog by Email